Hotel Siemsens Gaard's history
Like Svaneke itself Hotel Siemsens Gaard is filled with an interesting history. In the old well-restored merchants store, it is not difficult to indulge in nostalgia of a distant past. If the walls could speak, we would hear tales of a hectic life in the time of the great sailing-ships, where Siemsens Gaard was a trading business of considerable size.
From app. 1650 to the beginning of the 19th Century, the merchant store had its days of glory until modern means of transportation halted this exciting era.
The hotel is named after a teacher, Johan P. Siemsens, who in 1827 married to the widow of the merchant Jeppe Holst.
Already back in the 1687, Siemsens had a very prominent debut as an inn with visit by the Danish King Christian V. and a suit, among others Admiral Niels Juel and the Norwegian prémier Gyldenløve, were to inspect the new fortification on Christians Ø.
In the 1930´es the merchants house was rebuild to a hotel, and has since undergone gentle restoration, and today appears as a modern and up-to-date holiday and conference hotel.